Many online consumers consider receiving their purchase directly at home as an excellent reason to purchase products online. For retailers, the objective must be to infuse magic at that moment in which the user collects their order from the delivery man. And, to achieve this, the perfect package for an e-commerce shipment must be designed.
Remember that the order is the only physical point of contact between a digital business and its customers. And it is necessary to pamper them so that the encounter between the two is exciting.
How do you do it?
Follow these 8 tips, and you will have guaranteed success!
1. Look for packaging that identifies with your brand
Resistant, practical, attractive… it is important that your package is identified with the products you sell and with the brand you communicate. And this goes beyond putting your brand on the packaging.
No one would imagine that Apple would use sloppy and low-quality packaging for shipments of its high-end technology products, or that a brand that cares about environmental issues would choose plastic packaging in preference, being able to use more sustainable packaging alternatives.
2. Use eco-responsible packaging
Sustainability and respect for the environment are increasingly crucial values for consumers. Do not limit yourself to being eco-responsible in the products you sell: extend your responsibility to the environment that surrounds you to the packaging of your e-commerce deliveries.
You can choose from a wide range of eco-responsible packaging. Try white postal boxes, envelopes, filling materials, straps and adhesive tapes for your business which are ‘green’. The best thing is that they are not only eco-responsible, they are also customizable!
3. Choose packaging of a similar size to the merchandise
For sustainability, for practicality, for safety and for savings. The logical thing is that you choose the cardboard box, envelope or shipping tube whose size is closest to that of the merchandise that it is going to be shipped. Transportation companies take into account both the weight of shipments and space they occupy to establish their rates. Sending air to your customers can be very expensive!
Likewise, the excess of empty space inside a box can have two consequences:
- The products move during transport and arrive damaged at their destination.
- You have to use an exaggerated amount of packing filler and protection to cover the gaps.
The perfect package for an e-commerce shipment does not fit the model of using a huge box to send a pen!
4. Facilitates returns with round trip packaging
A study by The Ecommerce Foundation reveals what type of products are the stars of returns in e-commerce shipments. In the last 12 months, returns were:
- 20% – clothing
- 12% – shoes
- 9% – electronics products
In conclusion, when configuring the perfect package, you not only have to think about how it reaches the user but also about making it easier for them to return the items for whatever reason.
You can use roundtrip boxes and envelopes, designed with a double band of adhesive tape to simplify return processes. They are essential when preparing orders!
5. Place the packing and protection just right
To ensure safe and smooth transit, the perfect package for an e-commerce shipment should not miss the filling packaging.
When deciding which filler packaging to use, consider the type of product you are selling, and the role the filler packaging has to fulfil:
- wrap and cushion shock
- fix the products and fill the inside of the packages
- protect fragile surfaces
- wrap products sensitive to electricity
And don’t forget that presentation is also an important factor. The customer’s perception that the products they have purchased have travelled perfectly protected is a loyalty factor.
6. Seal the package properly
Now that you have everything in place, the moment of truth has come: closing the package. Then there will be no going back!
The key to a correct closure lies in the fastening. You can use various possible closure systems for cardboard boxes. Choose between adhesive tape, strapping or industrial staples depending on the size and content of your packages.
7. Identify your shipments well
The last detail of packaging for e-commerce shipping is the labelling. You have to paste two types of labels:
- Label with shipping details. Include the name, full address and telephone number of both the sender and the recipient. Place it on top so it is always visible during transport, and cover it with clear tape to ensure it won’t break or be affected by moisture.
- Label with handling instructions. It indicates if the merchandise is fragile or in what position the package should be kept during the shipment.
8. Take maximum care of the presentation and do not forget the details
Personalizing your packaging is a basic tactic to communicate your brand in each shipment but what feelings do you want to awaken in your customers when they open their order?
Think about it. This is your opportunity to surprise them, make them fall in love with your brand, and create a memorable shopping experience that pushes them to return to your website again and again.
- A discount voucher for the next purchase
- A handwritten thank-you note
- Merchandising of our company
- A brochure or catalogue of your brand
- The invoice of the order presented in an original, fun or elegant way
Now you have the ideal package to consolidate the relationship between your customers and your online store. Keep repeating and improving the process for the best results!